Although Lombok has the reputation of being a rather difficult place to explore, you will be sure to see and experience some amazing things, while you are here. Other than its eye-catching beauty, Lombok holds plenty of other attractions including superb beaches, lush forests, impressive hiking trails and Indonesia’s second largest volcano.
Check out some of the must-see places in Lombok:
The Gili Islands
Visiting the Gili islands is a must, when you are in Lombok. Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air are 3 paradise islands, located just 20 minutes away from Lombok. These islands are well-known for snorkeling and scuba diving. Tourists also visit these islands to relax, party and swim.
Several hotels are located in Senggigi and so most tourists arrive here. The Senggigi Beach is one of the most popular beaches where both the locals as well as tourists have a great time surfing. Senggigi is also a great place for eating and going out at night.
Located in District Pujut, Central Lombok, the Sade Village can be found right on the edge of road Praya – Kuta. If you wish to meet the indigenous people of Lombok, this is the place to go to. The beauty of this village is that it maintains the traditional way of life, with people living in traditional houses, made of wood and bamboo. The village is also famous for ikat weaving and handicrafts made by the women in this village. Almost every house in Sade village can be found selling souvenirs like bracelets, necklaces, key chains, and more.
Just like Senggigi, Kuta is another tourist hotspot with plenty of hotels and restaurants. You can enjoy a number of beaches in this area. In fact some of the best beaches are located around kurta and these inlcude:
• Tanjung Aan Beach – The Tanjung Aan beach is one of the most beautiful and amazing beaches in Lombok, with fine white sand and stunning crystal clear turquoise water. It consists of two bays where you can relax and have a swim as well. A hill separates both bays and from here you can have a great view of the surroundings.
• Mawun Beach – The Mawun beach, located about 8km west of Kuta Beach is a secluded bow shaped beach with a deep arch. It features pristine sand and crystal clear water. Although quite unpopular, the Mawun beach is an awesome place for relaxing, surfing and swimming. The only facilities in this beach are a few drinks stalls and there is not really much going here. The hills around the beach always change colors depending on the season. While in the rainy season, these hills look green because of the lush vegetation, they look brownish during the dry season. These colors, in combination with the turquoise Ocean is really a treat for the eyes.
• Selong Belanak Beach – The Selong Belanak beach is yet another beautiful beach in Lombok with soft, white sands that almost has the texture of flour. The beach has a fairly long shoreline, so even if there are many visitors, the place never gets crowded. The waves of Selong Belanak are big enough, therefore this beach is also one of the best places for surfing.
• Kuta Beach – Kuta Beach is one of the best known beaches in Lombok with an impressive stretch of soft, white sand and crystal clear blue sea. It is surrounded by rugged hills and is also a famous surfing spot. In fact, the Kuta beach is considered a surfer paradise by surfers from all over the world. Whether you are a beginner or an expert surfer, you will find this place the ideal spot for your surfing adventures. You can either bring your own surf boards & boogie boards or rent them. As far as the south coast of Lombok is concerned, the Kuta Beach is the chief tourism center that has been attracting visitors for a long time.
• Pink Beach – The pink beach or the Tangsi beach is the only beach in Lombok that has an amazing spread of lovely pink sand. The incoming sea water often bring millions of dead red coral fragments from the seabed, which blends with the sand and gives it a pinkish hue. Its can be a bit difficult to reach the Tangsi beach because of the underdeveloped streets and roads. But once you reach there, you will be welcomed by a quiet and desolate beach with cliffs and hills all around, from where you can have stunning views of the surroundings.
At 3.726 m, Mount Rinjani is the second highest Volcano in Indonesia. It is definitely one of the highlights of Lombok! The beautiful Senaru Waterfalls is also in the same area, where you’ll have to pay an entrance fee. The Southern part of Mount Rinjani also has a number of waterfalls such as Benang Stokel and Benang Kelambu.
Pusuk Monkey Forest
Pusuk monkey forest, located in a lush tropical hill forest between West Lombok and North Lombok Regency is home to numerous wild monkeys. You can feed the hungry monkeys if you like, but be careful that they don’t snatch your bags, backpacks and other belongings and run away with them.
The wonderful island of Lombok, although lesser known to many travelers, packs an enormous punch when it comes to beautiful places and natural attractions. The place offers so many unique things to see and do that going there would definitely be an unforgettable experience. If you are looking for a vacation to a very scenic place surrounded by the beauty of nature, you should take a trip to Lombok.